In the first Fun Hair Facts post, I shared just some of the interesting facts that us hair nerds here at Ovation have compiled.
In fact, we found so many entertaining and cool tidbits that I’ve broken it up into two blog posts. If knowing what the average lifespan of a hair strand is or how long the average man spends shaving in his lifetime, is of any interest to you, please read on…
- If a man never shaved his beard, it would grow to over 30 feet in a lifetime.
- On average, a women’s hair strand is half the diameter of a man’s hair strand.
- Each hair follicle grows a completely new hair about 20 times in a lifetime.
- The outer layer of hair is called the cuticle, and its purpose is to protect the inside layers. In healthy hair, the cuticle lays flat. In damaged hair, they are more open.
- The middle layer of hair is called the cortex, which is made of long proteins twisted together.
- The innermost layer of hair is called the medulla. Fine hair usually does not have a medulla. The purpose of the medulla has not yet been determined.
- Blow-drying your hair works by changing hydrogen bonds to alter the shape. Water also changes hydrogen bonds; hence the reason women hate humidity.
- The only part of hair that is not dead is the hair that is inside your scalp.
- Healthy hair, when wet, can stretch to 30% its original length.
- It takes about 7 years to grow your hair to your waist, and 3 years to grow to your shoulders.
- The only way to get rid of “split ends” is to cut them. There is no way to completely repair them.
- One sixteenth century doctor claimed you could restore hair by applying a random concoction made of boiled slugs, olive oil, honey, saffron, soap and cumin on the scalp.
- If you pluck one hair, a new one will start growing from the follicle.
- Different textures of hair have different cross-section shapes under a microscope. Straight hair is usually round and curly hair is usually oval.
- The first mass marketed shampoo on the market was called “Dop”.
- 90% of right-handed people grow cowlicks in a clockwise direction.
- Hair is stronger than a copper wire of the same diameter.
- The size of a hair follicle determines the thickness and length of hair.
- Dark hair contains higher levels of carbon than light hair.
- The werewolf legend is believed to have originated from an abnormality called Hirsutism, which causes excess body hair or facial hair to grow in places it is not supposed to.
- Scientists can tell what you ate or drank, or the environment you live in, by examining a small piece of your hair.
- Every inch of the human body is covered in hair besides the palms, soles of the feet, and lips.
- The average life span of a strand of hair is 4-7 years.
- The average man spends 5 months of his life shaving.
- Facial hair grows faster than any other type of body hair.
Hopefully you’ve found some or all of these facts as interesting as we do! Just remember that whether you have a clockwise cowlick or higher levels of carbon in your hair, Ovation Hair Products can help you get the best hair possible. For more information and to make a purchase, click here.